The Friends of CTLS is pleased to offer three (3) stipends of $500 to cover the cost of registration and conference expenses for the 2011 TLA Annual Conference. This award will go to a librarian or paraprofessional who works at a member library of Central Texas Library System, Inc. The purpose of the FOCTLS Conference Stipend is to provide a means for supporting participation in the TLA Annual Conference and advance professional development. The deadline to apply is March 22, 2011 at 5 pm.
- Recipient must be a member of the Texas Library Association, may not use part of the stipend to join TLA.
- Recipient must be employed as a librarian or paraprofessional in a public library that is a member of Central Texas Library System, Inc.
- Recipient must submit a completed application form, a letter of recommendation from supervisor on or before March 22, 2011.
- Recipient must agree to staff the CTLS/FOCTLS booth for 2 hrs during the conference.
DEADLINE: Application and letter of reference received by March 22, 2011 before 5 pm.
To view the entire application guidelines: 2011 TEXAS LIBRARY ASSOCIATION CONFERENCE
Download the application for the stipend: 2011-tla-conf-stipend-application
Bring your checkbooks to the meeting!
The FOCTLS will be sponsoring a booksale of Anastasia Suen’s books before and after her presentation. She is bringing both hardback and paperback copies of many of her books–some are in very short supply. She is generously donating 20% of the sale proceeds to FOCTLS. We will have easy shopping lists available for your receipts and Anastasia will be available to sign any copies you purchase.
Signed paperback copies would make ideal summer reading rewards–what a deal, read and get a book as a prize!
ALL of these hardcover books list for $15.99 and paperbacks are $4.95.
Picture Books: Air Show 8 copies, Delivery 24 copies, Red Light, Green Light 2 copies, Subway 2 copies,
Toco Toucans 8 copies, Window Music 17 copies, Wired 11 copies,
Easy readers: A Prize Inside 5 copies, Dino Hunt 1 copy, Skate Trick 5 copies, Snow Games 2 copies,
The Big Catch 6 copies, The Scary Night 5 copies, The Pirate Map 1 copy
Paperback easy readers: A Prize Inside 6 copies, Dino Hunt 5 copies, Skate Trick 1 copy, Snow Games 2 copies,
Test Drive 5 copies, The Big Catch 6 copies,The Pirate Map 6 copies
The New Year brings exciting new ways to reach out. Please join FOCTLS. At every meeting in the last few years I have listened as librarian after librarian enumerated all the wonderful things that CTLS provides to them in the way of support and educational opportunities. The Friends of CTLS (FOCTLS) was started several years ago to support the mission of CTLS, to provide their safety net and to help them make the transition to non-profit system.
In 2010, FOCTLS decided to show our support of CTLS by providing grants to librarians who needed a bit of help to reach their educational goals. Eighteen took advantage of the program last year. Many thanks to the staff at CTLS for putting a reminder on the enrollment page.
In January, the FOCTLS board met and re-affirmed our goal of supporting CTLS as it reaches out to its current and potential member libraries. In 2011 FOCTLS will offer the following programs:
- up to thirty (30) educational grants of up to $50 for attending the workshops that CTLS provides
- up to three (3) grants of up to $500 for librarians to attend TLA
- up to twenty (20) on-site educational grant of up to $50 to enable a CTLS workshop to be provided at your location
- staffing a booth at TLA to acquaint participants with CTLS and FOCTLS. Tell librarians what each organization has to offer to libraries.
What can you do to help reach the FOCTLS these goals?
- Join or renew your FOCTLS membership — just give us your check and information. Memberships start at $10 and are due now.
- Encourage the librarians you know to renew their membership.
- Volunteer to spend an hour or two in the booth at TLA Conference to share your enthusiasm and knowledge.
- Bring a friend!
- Purchase books at the FOCTLS booksale at the Winter Meeting. (more information and link in next post)
CTLS, Inc. is requesting that The Friends of CTLS fund twenty $50 stipends in 2011 to help CTLS, Inc. member library staff and supporters attend System workshops. The purpose is to assist those who cannot attend a System workshop due to financial concerns. The stipend covers the workshop fees, transportation, and replacement staffing. FOCTLS members will vote on the stipends at the September 24, 2010 FOCTLS meeting held in Cameron.
Stipend requests are made via email. Stipend requests must be received one week prior to workshop date. Stipends are available to CTLS, Inc. member library staff and supporters.
How the Stipend Works
- your name
- your email address
- your physical address
- your phone number
- the library which you’re affiliated
- your position at the library (director, library staff, volunteer, lay representative, board member)
- the CTLS workshop you’d like to attend
- a brief description of how this workshop will help your library services (no more than a paragraph)
Please forward your workshop email confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org to show proof of purchase. FOCTLS will review application and contact applicant. Successful applicants will receive a $50 check within one week of workshop attendance.